- Family Law 90%
- Professional Ethics 5%
- Probate 5%
Ellen S. Mandell is a sole practitioner in Cleveland. Ms. Mandell has been an attorney for more than 30 years and her practice focuses on divorce and separation, child custody, support and visitation issues, as well as representation of professionals with disciplinary or ethical concerns.
Ms. Mandell has been as a Guardian ad Litem for minor children in the Cuyahoga County Domestic Relations Court since the program began in the 1980's; she currently serves as a Guardian ad Litem.
Ms. Mandell has served on the Grievance Committee for the Cuyahoga County Bar Association for more than 25 years and represented the Cuyahoga County Bar Association as it's Grievance Committee chair and as it's bar counsel from 2000-2008, representing the Bar Associating in ethics and professional responsibility cases before the Ohio Supreme Court and the United States Supreme Court.
Ms. Mandell is also a past president and board member of the Cuyahoga County Bar Association and Treasurer of the Cuyahoga County Bar Foundation.
She is currently a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and served on its Grievance Committee until 2014. She Currently serves on its Judicial Selection and Judicial Qualifications Committees.
Ms. Mandell has served as an acting judge in the Shaker Heights Municipal Court since 2001.
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio
- Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- B.A. - 1974
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: English and Political Science
- Ohio, 1978
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1991
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1992
- Multi-Disciplinary Practice, Ohio Lawyers' Weekly, 2000
- CCBA v Alexander Jurczenko, 114 Ohio St. 3d 229, 2007-Ohio-3675, 2007, Ohio Supreme Court
- CCBA v Scott Maybaum, 112 Ohio St. 3d 93, 2006-Ohio- 6507, 2006, Ohio Supreme Court
- Cuyahoga County Bar Association President's Award for Service
Classes & Seminars
- Multi-Disciplinary Practice (Speaker/Instructor), Eighth Judicial District Conference, 2000 to 2000
- Litigation Basics (Speaker/Instructor), Ohio Women's Bar Association, 2001 to 2001
- Professional Ethics (Speaker/Instructor), Federal Bar Association, 2001 to 2001
- Professional Ethics (Speaker/Instructor), NBI, 2010 to 2017
- Presenter on Ethical Issues related to Multi-State Representation, 2000
- Cuyahoga County Common Please Court, Staff Attorney, 1980 to 1988
- Acting Judge, Shaker Hts. Municipal Court, 2004 - present
- Ohio Metropolitan Bar Association, President
- Ohio State Bar Association Council of Delegates
- Cuyahoga County Bar Association, President
- Cuyahoga County Bar Association, Bar Counsel - responsible for attorney ethics prosecutions, including appearances before the Ohio Supreme Court
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
Current Employment Position
- Sole Practitioner